I really loved the way we were thrown straight into tonight's episode.... and with a relentless pace that just carried right on through to the dying moments.
I also loved the welcome return of so many old faces. You get the impression from all that went on, that we only have half the pieces to the puzzle... that there's a lot going on we don't even know about yet.
I get the impression that next week's finale is either going to be very very good... or very very poor. It obviously looks like there is going to be a regeneration... but as Mark Twain said: "Never make predictions... especially about the future". The ending interrupted the regeneration process, which left us in the annoying position of having a triple cliffhanger.
My suspicion is that whatever happens, the device that Martha holds... the Osterhagen key, will be some kind of Deus Ex Machina... something that will alter the events that lead to this regeneration being altered. However, I hope in some ways that I am wrong... because that would make it all too similar to last years conclusion... and Doctor Who is not Dallas. It shouldn't rely on everything always being... just a dream. By the way "Osterhagen" is an anagram of among other things, the phrase "Earth's Gone".
For an atheist, Russell T Davies seems to explore the idea of sacrifice and resurrection quite a lot... he's done it a lot in Doctor Who, as you can probably tell from other episodes I've blogged about. Let's see where next week takes us.
So the big questions then:
- What is going to happen with this regeneration?
- Will Sarah Jane, Ianto and/or Gwen survive?
- Just who or what is inside the Supreme Dalek?
- What other effects has Caan's trip to the timelocked "Time War" had?
- What is the Osterhagen Key and what will happen if it is used?
- Is someone going to make a supreme sacrifice (certainly seems possible given the title)?
- Most importantly all... did anyone try and contact the Doctor using 07700 900461?
*UPDATE* as of Sunday 29th May
Well, here's the trailer for the final specially lengthened episode... but it doesn't really give much away:
If you think you know what is going to happen,I'd love to hear your comments.